POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma? : Gamma? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:34:19 EDT (-0400)
  Gamma?
From: Sven Geier
Date: 29 Oct 2008 13:40:00
Message: <web.49089f15440ec5fc5b4449250@news.povray.org>
SO how does gamma work in POV these days?

When I try to use global_settings {assumed_gamma ...} I get an error message
telling me that this will not work any more and directing me to the
documentation. The documentation, however, touts Display_gamma and [quote]"the
new assumed_gamma global setting"[end quote].

I can state confidently that the gamma that is actually put into my renders is
way too high -- every image I create is very bright with very little contrast.

None of the ini-files I can find has Display_gamma set so this should default to
2.2 (according to the documentation) which is about right judging from the
greyscale chart in the docs. I manually correct the images after-the-fact in a
graphics program (PhotoStudio 5.5 in case that matters) and they look about
right when I reduce gamma to about 50%.

(This is 3.7b29 - I've been following every beta since 3.6;
  Win2k3, but I get the same effect on my XP and S.08 boxes)